Sunday, January 14, 2007

Ponderings of a Waking Mind

Circling about in my head are a few thoughts. The single thought of “I’m bored” is enjoying the company for a change. Scary Monster’s admission that he did not know what a Pict was is the first thought to come for a visit. Do I even know today what a Pict is? I know curiosity in high school drove me to looking it up, but I cannot really remember what I found out when I did. I think it is an instrument of some type; possibly a string one from ancient times. I must look it up now and find out if I killed those brain cells or not. Hang on…


Pict (pĭkt)
n.
One of an ancient people of northern Britain. They remained undefeated by the Romans and in the ninth century joined with the Scots to form a kingdom later to become Scotland.

Those brain cells are long dead it seems. At 35 pop culture is still driving me to learn new things. Is there any wonder I am so in love with pop culture when it keeps teaching me so much? I honestly typed the above paragraph with the thought of it being an instrument of some description. Pretty dumb Scary, huh?

Most people feel this need to act as if they knew things before exposed to them, not me. I am not ashamed to say I did not know of “Johnny Got His Gun” until after hearing Metallica’s One. I first learned of the charge of the light brigade from Iron Maiden’s “The Trooper” and I first read “For Whom the Bell Tolls” also because of Metallica. In fact, much of my education is due largely to my curiosity sparked from pop culture references. Most people would be embarrassed to admit such a thing but reality is usually there to embarrass us.

This leads us right to thought number two. I would like to introduce you to Mr. “G-d is bored.” He is usually here on Sundays. It might have something to do with the religious broadcasts I wake up to on the radio every Sunday. It is a constant theme on this blog it appears; more so than the politics I intended to write about. Even the political pieces usually break down to some version of G-d’s boredom. Our desire to be entertained is probably our most G-d-like trait. It explains why we worship Him so to be honest.

If you think about it we really do not treat G-d or Jesus or Mohammed any other religious figure any differently than any other celebrity. Each religion is nothing more than another fan club in essence with its own rules for joining and its own celebrity. It is a regional thing as well. There are not many chapters of the “Hank Williams, Jr Fan Club” in India today, they love Shri Harvinder Singh and Texas never heard of the man. (For the record, I searched “top sitar player” because I needed an example and have never heard of this man.)

The world today is simply G-d’s entertainment and we are his celebrities as much as He is ours. We get entertainment from watching each other fall, slip, win, fall in love, get upset, fight, and on and on. The more tragic the story the more we tune in and we wonder why life is so hard and what the meaning of life is. Isn’t that ironic, dontcha think?

The third thought is “I’m really thirsty” so I think it is time to start my day. My bathroom is screaming “CLEAN ME SEYMOUR” so I must go. Have a great day and avoid those cliffs.

7 comments:

Serena said...

From studying the history of the British Isles, I knew what Picts were. When they painted themselves blue, they were some fierce looking little things. Being somewhat small in stature, I've often wondered if they weren't the basis for some of the legends about elves and fairies and "Little People."

So, anyway, how are your brain cells doing? Did you get something to drink? Are you still bored? And most importantly, did you CLEAN THAT BATHROOM?

Unknown said...

My brain cells are on strike, my thirst is quenched, I am forever bored and are you secretly my mom? =P

Rex Zeitgeist said...

Mohammed was a celeb like Michael Jackson only with girls....PEDO.....


And the Picts are what Conan killed alot of.....The northern people who were small and like to fight to the death.....


http://www.frazettaartgallery.com/ff/index.html

Serena said...

So glad you got everything taken care of.:) I don't think I'm your mom, but things were pretty hazy that year. LOL.

Unknown said...

So everyone knew what a Pict was except me. Oh joy. I guess I should wear the special helmet to work tomorrow.

Unknown said...

LOL. She would pick up and out on the cleaning my bathroom thing and get a nag in. Must me a general mom thing.

Serena said...

So true, Kan. I live to nag my son. At least, that's what he'd tell you.:)