Tuesday, January 30, 2007

In the Name of The Bono, The Edge, and Those Other Two Guys


So what exactly is it that, at 12:34 A.M.(that is my magic time by the way, but that is for another post another day), has me starting a blog thread? Well, a five letter word: irony. I was about to go to sleep when I made the fatal mistake of making the ever famous “one last look” at the news. What can I say; I’m a political junkie. I cannot help myself and am not sure I would if I could. I just know that if I don’t do the ever famous “one last look” I find myself laying awake and listening to news radio.

Much like the religious war currently being denied in Iraq, Christianity has had a centuries old war between the Protestant and the Catholic and, in an unrelated turn of events, between the English and the Irish. The Protestants were the British who followed the Church of England while the Catholics were Irish and followed the Vatican. Then there was the matter of what king ruled what lands, but again, that is another thread for another day. I want to concentrate on the religious aspect of this feud because this is ironic if ever something was.

The Church of England has began an effort to fill its pews and the method they have chosen is the use of secular music, but not just any secular music. Choosing a Pat Boone, an Amy Grant, or even a Stryper would not garner any press. No, this must be a special secular artist to really get those donors, I mean parishioners in their seats. This must be none other than G-d’s gift to fund raising- U2!

Yes, you heard that correctly. I mean read it correctly. You could have heard it if you were reading it to someone I suppose. Maybe you just read aloud normally. Who am I to judge you although that must be annoying to co-workers. Have you tried maybe chewing gum when you read or something? Perhaps if your mouth is full you will be less prone to read aloud. Unless you talk with your mouth full. You don’t, do you?

That was another tangent, huh? Sorry.

Yes, you read that correctly. The Church of England is using a Catholic Irish band to bring in people. I am far too tired to make something like this up. I mean they are called “U2-charist” for Christ’s sake…literally. Read more here because I am also far to tired to give this story the proper sarcasm it deserves.

It is indeed a Beautiful Day believers. Oh on Sunday, Bloody Sunday dear believers, by the light of the Unforgettable Fire we will protest War in October. Boy, what a time we will have.
“For if you walk away walk away,” sayith Joshua Tree,” if you walk away walk away I will follow.”

Amen.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess they feel, Whatever works. Will they have topless girls passing the collection plates next?

Unknown said...

Yes, but it will not be collection "plates" so much as "donation thongs for Jesus."

Rex Zeitgeist said...

If you want to raise money, call Bono...The boy can work the phones....

P.S. Try warm milk and a cookie....that should put you out for the night....

Serena said...

Hmm. I'm not even sure what to make of that. I like U2, but a shill is a shill and I've never been crazy about shills.:(

Unknown said...

I don;t know if U2 is involved in this. I mostly liked the irony of the C of E looking to the Irish to help.