Sunday, December 17, 2006

Lazy is Love of Tomorrow

There are few concepts I love more than the concept of “lazy.” I know sloth is one of the seven deadly sins and all, but sloth and lazy are not the same thing. Remember that sloth is an unmotivated undirected lack of anything. Being lazy is a purposeful lack of anything. There is direction to being lazy. The sloth cannot think of anything better to do while the lazy person cannot think of anything they would rather do. To be lazy is to reach the pinnacle of happiness, why does it get such a horrid rap?

Think about how often in your life activities were forced upon you simply to avoid the appearance of being lazy. Our mothers demanded we go outside and play when we wanted to lay down and watch hours of cartoons. Not my mother of course otherwise I would not be the lazy person I am today, but I saw my friend’s parents occupy every second of the day with various nonsensical distractions from boredom. Why? They did not want us to be lazy. Free time would be occupied by chores if there was no will to go out and play, so we were actually punished for being lazy. We forget that laziness is the mother of all invention.

It is true, every single thing we have in life to make life easier is due directly to man’s desire to be lazy. If we end all forms of lazy then we end all forms of progress. Why do we have cars? We were too lazy to walk that far. Why do we have remote controls? We were too lazy to change the channel. Why do we have phones? We were too lazy to walk to the person we wanted to talk to. Why do we have cell phones? We were too lazy to find a phone to talk to the person we wanted to talk to. Every single invention you can think of was motivated by a desire to be lazy.

History books will never speak of this facet because, as I said, to be lazy is to be committing a mortal sin in the eyes of most people, but that does not lessen its impact on progress. The lazy mind has time to dream and dreams become the future. Never disturb the dreamer please.

4 comments:

Serena said...

Greetings from the Queen of the Sloth People.:)

I am quite often purposefully slothful, which could be construed as lazy by the hyperactive. When the body is in low gear, though, is when the mind can best do its thing. I'm good as long as my mother doesn't try to force me to go out and play.

Good words to live by, Kan -- never disturb the dreamer, please.

Rex Zeitgeist said...

I never feel comfortable being lazy until the end of the day, say, around 9 pm......During the day I have to keep busy. On sports days, I am constantly working around the house, cleaning etc.....


I feeel guilty if I just lounge around...unless, of course, I have a hangover....

Serena said...

I can't afford to be lazy on workdays, but I don't go out of my way to kill myself with work on the weekends. After we've worked all day, all week long, we're entitled to a little sloth time. Unfortunately, I haven't had much lazy time this weekend. The holidays are upon us and company is coming -- much, much work.

Unknown said...

Lazy all the time except when on the clock. I am sold my time during those hours, but the rest of the time I am 100% lazy.