Friday, December 01, 2006

Fried Day

It has been a weird Friday today. Not so much a bad one as just a roadblock intensive one. I have managed to confirm all my techs, but not all the techs I needed so we have to cancel some patients this weekend. It is noting that is my fault or the tech’s fault: they are really sick and it would not be fair to the patients to give them a tech who possibly could give them a cold. Come in for insomnia and leave with the flu is not exactly the marketing we are looking for. I do feel bad for the patients though who must be cancelled. It is not fair to them to be honest, but this is something that happens.

Most of the techs came down with their sickness over the last two days so people who were going to work this weekend cannot now and those who could have already worked so much that it would burn them out to work more. That does not mean I did not ask and even try to bully them into doing it, but it means I understand and sympathize with why they cannot. I try guilt and I try to bully once and, when those do not work, I move on and let them know it is ok.

Three patients are not really that much to cancel and we are really not canceling them so much as trying to move them to another night. The scheduling girls HATE me right now though for the chaos I have brought to them. I am not the cause but I am the messenger and I am being shot for the news I bring. Canceling patients is not fun at all and I know that. They are going to be yelled at by at least one patient for canceling them last minute. I have offered to help, but there really is not much I can do to help them short of being a tech myself and letting them keep the patients, but that is NOT going to happen. I am clueless as to what a tech must do and do not have the patience to deal with patients.

On the bright side….there is not one. Well, maybe that I only have 90 minutes left today, but I am not sure that is true. You know Fridays have a nasty habit of giving me a 4 o’clock surprise. Pray for me and I will for you….deal?

10 comments:

Rex Zeitgeist said...

Dear Vishnu, please let Kanrei off the hook with the scheduling girl.....Thanks bro!

Serena said...

Are you still alive? Send us a message if the scheduling girl killed you.

It does suck that the messenger is usually the one who gets shot. Alas, that is the way of the world. I hope 4:00 P.M. came and went with no further complications.

Unknown said...

I lived and your prayers worked! It is actually more than one scheduling girl I had hating me today. She asked her husband to run me down while I was having a smoke and he came to visit. When he denied to do it she asked for his keys.

I left around 4:45 today and only had to cancel one.

Serena said...

It's good that the guy still had a few neurons firing on all cylinders.:) Otherwise, we'd have been reading in the Miami Herald about the hit and run of some poor guy named Kanrei who had to reschedule a few insomniacs. Moral: sleeplessness can be fatal to your health.

Anonymous said...

I hate sitting in a doctor's waiting room. You never know if you'll walk out sicker than when you came in. The only saving grace is, you don't have to pay for the extra load you leave with.

Unknown said...

Hey Steve,
We are a bit more extreme than just a waiting room...we are a sleep lab. You spend at least eight hours with us and you sleep while we watch. Bwahahahahahaha.....

Just kidding about the "bwahaha" part.

Serena said...

Man, I'd hate having a bunch of strangers watch me sleep. I toss and turn, kick, and I've been told that I talk and sometimes walk. Sometimes not even the dog will spend the whole night with me. LOL.

RexZeitgeist said...

I wonder if Kan is shacked up with the scheduling girl?

Serena said...

Hmmm. I'll bet he is. LOL.

Unknown said...

Fear not. I live, just did not have anything really to type today. I hope tomorrow goes better for words =D