Sunday, October 08, 2006

Never Judge a Band By its Members

By Kanrei


Ever have your taste in music kick your ass? Me either until tonight.

As a member of Emusic I get to find bands I would never have a chance to be exposed to otherwise. It is one of the many music clubs that are online today, but they are legal and specialize in independent labels and bands. They give exposure to the bands the radio forgets about.

What I do at Emusic is find a band I like and search the "similar acts" list they provide. This takes me usually to bands that suck, but the similar acts listed on those band’s pages usually take me to interesting things. Tonight I found a band named Wicked Wisdom and my ass is officially kicked. The more I looked into the band, the more stereotypes have continued to kick me.

Wicked Wisdom was the opening act from Britney Spears’ 2004 tour, but do not hold that against them. After hearing them, I would have loved to been at the show and seen the pre-teen Britney fans deal with this band. Wicked Wisdom is in essence a very aggressive and angry speed-metal band in the vein of Slipknot. Opening for Britney is kind of like having Jackie Mason on tour with Hitler.

With a former member of Fishbone in the line up it is easy to assume the quality of music being played, but their choice for a lead singer made me really doubt this quality before ever hearing them. After hearing them the singer’s identity only adds to the overall power of the band and I am ashamed for falling into the judgemental trap. I am certainly a Jada Koren fan now.

For those who may not know, Jada Koren is better known as Jada Pinkett-Smith, wife of Will Smith. I am guilty of stereotyping, but I assumed she would be more of a "R and B" person married to Will “Fresh Prince” Smith, but it appears she is quite the opposite end of spectrum. Not only that, but she is incredible at it.

They list bands such as Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden as influences as well as recent bands like Sevendust and Slipknot. If any of those bands are in your MP3 player then this is a band you must certainly get. Do not let the average at best writing here stop you. I am still suffering from writer's block.



Go now, right after you get Mike Patton of course.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't think I reach that far. Seven states, I would have to be huge don't ya think?

Oh, sorry. I forgot that you don't.

RexZeitgeist said...

Anon, you get stupider by the day.....


I hope they sound better then they look.......Of course how many rock groups wear suits and ties....Outside of Gwar, I can't think of any....

Serena said...

Ah, geez, I'm not even going to comment on that. Duh.