Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Do Not Read If Your Age Bugs You!!!

I didn't feel old this morning when I woke up and my bones creaked. I did not feel old today as I drove past the schools on my way to work and saw all the children rushing off to class. Hell, I did not even feel old as I clipped the gray hairs from my goatee and brushed past the bald spot atop my head. No, I did not feel old until I saw this list on MSNBC. My G-d am I old or what?

These are changes made in the world that people born in 1989 have no idea about.

1. What Berlin wall?

2. Humvees, minus the artillery, have always been available to the public.

3. Rush Limbaugh and the “Dittoheads” have always been lambasting liberals.

4. They never “rolled down” a car window.

5. Michael Moore has always been angry and funny.

6. They may confuse the Keating Five with a rock group.

7. They have grown up with bottled water.

8. General Motors has always been working on an electric car.

9. Nelson Mandela has always been free and a force in South Africa.

10. Pete Rose has never played baseball.


11. Rap music has always been mainstream.

12. Religious leaders have always been telling politicians what to do, or else!

13. “Off the hook” has never had anything to do with a telephone.

14. Music has always been “unplugged.”

15. Russia has always had a multi-party political system.

16. Women have always been police chiefs in major cities.

17. They were born the year Harvard Law Review Editor Barack Obama announced he might run for office some day.

18. The NBA season has always gone on and on and on and on.

19. Classmates could include Michelle Wie, Jordin Sparks, and Bart Simpson.

20. Half of them may have been members of the Baby-sitters Club.

The full list of 70 items can be found here. Sorry to do this to you, but why should I suffer alone. I mean think about it- They never saw Johnny Carson live on television. and stadiums, rock tours and sporting events have always had corporate names. Oye am I old.

6 comments:

Serena said...

I AM old, but it doesn't bug me. Lists like that certainly give you pause, though.:)

Ed & Jeanne said...

Then again, you could look at it the other way...

They will not know what it was like to be at the top of the Twin Towers in NY.

They will never know what it feels like to stand on the top of Mt. St. Helens when it actually had a summit.

They will most likely never experience the warm sounds from a vinyl recording.

They will not have experienced the wonders of many of our national forests before they burned down.

They will probably never experience a double feature with a short serial in between.

Almost all of them may never experience a drive-in movie.

Unknown said...

Both of you are too positive! Be depressed damnit!

Actually VE, I love your take on it. I pity the kids of today/tomorrow because they will never know the simple joy of riding your bike, without a helmet, 10 miles from your home, with your mom's only order to "be safe and home by dark" without so much as a fear or worry in your head. Memories....

rkfinnell said...

Twin Towers? That's rather a moot point. I didn't even know they existed until they were gone. I imagine I'm not alone.
Taking this attitude is as silly as people feeling sorry for us because we never rode across the plains in a covered wagon.
Times change. Progress happens and that's the way it is.
I feel kind of blunt today.

Camille Alexa said...

See, my creaking knees bug me way worse than your listy stuff. Of course, my knees have been alarmingly creaky since my early 20s, so...

In the vintage store, I more than once heard people old enough to go to R movies ask how a dial telephone worked.

Scary Monster said...

Me likes VE's take on things.

They also never danced in their livinroom while watching Soul Train.

They Never played Abbey Road backwards to try and hear the secret messege. in fact they can't even name the Beatles in the "correct" order.

And they dont know the difference between Da bomb and The Bomb.

Older people STOMP!

p.s. Me be thinking our parents said the same thing when we didn't know who The Shadow or Amos and Andy were, ya?