Friday, March 09, 2007

Friday on Calle Ocho

After months of odd Fridays, today we find ourselves almost at a normal one or as close to normal as Fridays for me get. I have more techs than patients once again, but that also means no overtime is being handed out so I did great from my boss’s perspective.

The girls are working on adding more patients, but I really am not expecting them to find any. We have been moving people around all week and I really think we have exhausted our “move up” list. I am guessing some people are just not going to be working this week. The only ones left to move are the special request patients and they really cannot be moved. We had to make too many arrangements to meet all their requests to have everything ready at this short of notice. Part of me feels bad, but most of me is doing the Nelson impression from the Simpsons. You know the one: Haha!

I am not a big bastard at all. I am not denying I have bastard tendencies, just denying the girth of my bastardness. When I look at the list of people I work with that I don’t want mad at me the techs fall at the bottom of the list. They are voices on the phone to me while everyone else I work with has a face. It really makes a huge difference.

There are those techs that are here simply for a paycheck while others are loyal to the company. There are those who refuse to adjust to the ever changing medical schedule and others who are there whenever we need them. Which would you take care of first? We bend over further than most companies do for their employees and honestly way overpay them for the job they do simply because my boss believes employees are the sole reason a company fails or succeed and the employees should benefit from the success. The only thing they ask is that the employees care about their jobs. It is funny how everyone is your friend during the feast and they forget your name during the famine.

This weekend is "Calle Ocho" in Miami. What is "Calle Ocho?" It is Spanish for "Eighth Street" and is a Carnaval Miami. I assume it has something to do with Lent, Easter, Marti Gras, St. Patrick's Day, and everything else going on right now. I do know it is a HUGE party. Miami is great for a HUGE party if nothing else.

I have no date this weekend which means I am going to actually make it to a movie. I can’t decide if it is going to be “Zodiac” or “300”. My initial plan was to have seen “Zodiac” last weekend, had a great time on the date, and take her to see “300” this weekend. Now I am a week behind and need to figure out if I see “300” on opening weekend before anyone can ruin it for me or see “Zodiac” which I have been waiting for. Both are three hour movies so I can’t simply pick the shorter/longer one to see and both are theater movies so I cannot simply say “I will wait for (blank) to come on DVD.” A coin flip is in the cards I believe or just a six hour day at the local Cineplex. I have no real life so I think the second option is going to be the plan. A full review of whichever will be coming I promise.

Happy Eighth Street to Everyone!

7 comments:

Camille Alexa said...

I love your photo pick! Very vivid. We used to have a restaurant in Austin called Calle Ocho. It was at the corner of Congress (our 'main street') and Eighth, just down from the capitol building.

Serena said...

I think you should see your movie and then head on over to Calle Ocho. It sounds like a blast and, who knows, you just might find your next date there.

Ed & Jeanne said...

I'm always there for my co-workers. Except when I sneak off and go skiing like today and nobody knows I'm not at work. I did one meeting while driving to the mountain and they even called me later while I was in the lodge and thought I was at work. I mean, that's what customer service is all about!

300...is that how many minutes the movie is???

Scary Monster said...

You can split the movie going into two days and party in between.
Me likes the Stopmpiness of that idea.

Either way you go, have a blast this weekend!

Reel Fanatic said...

Haven't seen 300 yet, but Zodiac is great .. too long? Maybe, but it's a fantasticly obsessive police procedural with tons of style

Anonymous said...

Kanrei, both movies sound good. It will be awhile before they get to Germany.

Rex Zeitgeist said...

The trick is to arraign it so you can watch one and then sneak in and watch the other.....

Hey, I worked at a Drive-in for two years....they owe me!