Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Took an "Insane Day"

I called into work "insane" today. I luckily have a boss who understands that not all "sick days" are of the physical variety: that sometimes you can be mentally sick or just plain sick of work and those should also count as sick days. Basically, a "sick day" to my company is a day that you wake up unable to deal with work. You get five of those and you can waste them on being physically sick, or you can call in "distress" and take a day. I never take vacation time, so I tend to use quite a lot of these "distress" days.

It is not that my life is particularity bad right now or anything. In truth, things are going great. I was under tons of stress from June 08 until November 08, but had to keep a strong face because everyone I knew was under tons of stress then and if we all surrendered to the stress there would be nothing today. Once that stress left, my best friend underwent a nasty and bitter break up (are there any other kind really?) with his girlfriend of 10 years and I had to be strong for him from November 08 until just a few weeks ago when they decided to give it another try. I think the stress I refused to acknowledge since June has finally broken through and I decided I needed a weekday to myself of extreme intoxication and that day is today. I am well on my way to being inebriated and it is only 1pm. Everything will be better tomorrow. I am actually smiling right now.

3 comments:

Rex Zeitgeist said...

I understand, I was under pressure from August 1967 to yesterday.

Scary Monster said...

Yer 'read more' butto still don't work. Is that be a legacy from the Bush administration???

Enjoy the insanity. Me knows how much fun it be.

STOMP.

nanc said...

i've been trying to make time for one of those days for at least 20 years. best of luck. with that.