Wednesday, November 05, 2008

American Pride

I have not been this proud of my country in quite sometime and it has nothing to do with the fact that my candidate won the election yesterday, but rather how the losing side accepted their loss. I watched Foxnews for most of last night’s coverage because I was looking for some good schadenfreude. What I got instead, from both Foxnews and McCain, was a humble and approving defeat…the kind of defeat we imagine those qualified to serve as President accepting rather than the bitterness we have come to expect from the losing side. Perhaps Republicans take defeat better than Democrats or perhaps they never really expected to win and were prepared for the loss, but either way, their gracious defeat brought tears to my eyes and I believed for the first time that this partisan divide could possibly be coming to an end.

No comments: